Apathy has seeped into every part of society. We’ve become a “Seinfeldian culture”; alive to the trivial, and numb to the meaningful. How can we find ways to care more, and how might Christianity’s history of grappling with apathy help us, whatever we believe?
Meet our guests
Uche Anizor is Associate Professor of Theology at Biola University, California, and the author of Overcoming Apathy, named Christianity Today’s ‘Book of the Year’ in 2022.
We’re alive to the trivial, and numb to the meaningful. That’s the perspective of author/theologian Uche Anizor, who warns that we’ve been enveloped in a “Seinfeldian culture”.
What clues might the Bible hold to help believers and non-believers alike overcome societal apathy?
Zondervan Academic sponsor this season of Undeceptions. Get discounts on MasterLectures video courses and exclusive samples of their books at zondervanacademic.com/undeceptions
Check out these helpful links below for more info on what was discussed in this episode.
- Wondering what shows your friends were binging while stuck at home during COVID19 lockdowns? This list will give you some clues.
- Time Magazine’s article ‘It’s Harder Than Ever To Care About Anything’ is good reading – but give our episode a listen afterwards!
- Here’s the World Health Organisations report on increasing mental illness worldwide – it’s sad, but insightful reading.
- Marcus Aurelius is the world’s most well-known stoic for a good reason. Check out this article unpacking some of his ideas.
- Here are 4 tips for fighting the dreaded noonday demon.
- Jerry making out with his girlfriend during Schindler’s List certainly lacks tact but makes for great comedy.
- Check out this TedTalk courtesy of activist and social commentator Yazzie Min, explaining why apathy is our biggest enemy.
- Well-known Catholic Priest and commentator Fr. Mike Schmitz has this video explaining the history of Acedia – the dreaded noonday demon!
- Check out our video on resting well (a way to help combat apathy), featuring the brilliant Dr Alex Pang.
- ... and here’s our podcast with him on the same topic!
- Check out this interview with Jonathan Haidt and Greg Lukianoff (authors of The Coddling of the American Mind) on the Free Thoughts podcast.
- If you can’t get enough of Uche’s knowledge (and smooth voice) here he is talking more about overcoming apathy on the Crossway Podcast.
… and finally
- Here’s the now infamous moment Will Smith slapped Chris Rock at the 2022 Oscars (language warning)
Undeceptions Plus offers exclusive bonus content to members. By becoming an Undeceiver, you can unlock uncut interviews, extra question and answer sessions, and peeks behind our creative process as we put the shows together. We’d love to have you with us.