Is there a Christian way to think about and engage with people who identify as something other than their birth sex?
We’re wading into one of the biggest culture war topics of the last 10 years: Transgender.
Meet our guests
Professor Mark Yarhouse, a clinical psychologist and director of the Sex and Gender Identity Institute at Wheaton College in Illinois, in the United States.
He has published over 80 peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters and is the author or co-author of several books, including Understanding Gender Dysphoria: Navigating Transgender Issues in a Changing Culture.
Dana Pham is a transgender woman and a liberal arts student at the University of Notre Dame in Sydney.
This episode was sponsored by Zondervan’s new book Religious Freedom in a Secular Age by Michael F. Bird.
We’re talking about the experience of gender dysphoria (and transgender more broadly) in this episode, and there’s some mention of abuse, depression, and suicide. If you’re struggling – or if anything we raise in the show causes you distress – please just pause, and go to:
- Lifeline in Australia.
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline in the US
- Samaritans Helpline in the UK
- Visit Wheaton College’s Sexual and Gender Identity Institute, run by Mark Yarhouse. You’ll find a bunch of statistics and research here.
- Study finds some significant differences in brains of men and women, 2017 Science Journal article
- The largest study involving transgender people is providing long-sought insights about their health, 2019 Nature article
- How Early in Life do Transgender Adults Begin to Experience Gender Dysphoria? Why This Matters for Patients, Providers, and for Our Healthcare System, 2021 Sex Med article.
- The mental health establishment is failing trans kids, Washington Post opinion piece, 2021 by Laura Edwards-Leeper and Erica Anderson.
Standards of Care (Version 7) from World Professional Association for Transgender Health.
- Watch the BBC Newsnight report on de-transitioning from 2019.
- Recently published, 30-year study from The Netherlands: The Amsterdam Cohort of Gender Dysphoria Study (1972-2015): Trends in Prevalence, Treatment, and Regrets, J Sex Med 2018
- The Health and Well-Being of Transgender Australians: A National Community Survey (2021)
- Irreversible Damage: The Transgender Craze Seducing Our Daughters by Abigail Shrier
Undeceptions Plus offers exclusive bonus content to members. By becoming an Undeceiver, you can unlock uncut interviews, extra question and answer sessions, and peeks behind our creative process as we put the shows together. We’d love to have you with us.