Can the supernatural and the advancing world of medicine co-exist? According to some scientists – absolutely!
Meet our guest
Doug Lauffenberger is the Ford Professor of Engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He is a member of the David H. Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, MIT Centre for Gynepathology Research, and somehow finds the time to be the editor-in-chief of the journal Integrative Biology.
This season of Undeceptions is sponsored by Zondervan Academic. Get discounts on MasterLectures video courses and exclusive samples of their books at zondervanacademic.com/undeceptions
Check out these helpful links below for more info on what was discussed in this episode.
- Dr Bruce Robinson’s wonderful book Behind the Tears is a must-have for anyone interested in today’s topic. Order your copy from his website here
- Here’s the AMEN protocol, explained by the Cancer Therapy Advisor
- Here’s a news report courtesy of CBS on the survey conducted by the University of Connecticut and Georgetown University that found 57 per cent of adults in America believed divine intervention was possible
- Professor Lauffenburger has a great story to tell about his faith and his work. Check it out here
- There are some hefty concepts in this episode – especially when it comes to genetics. Here’s an explainer of the CRISPR-Cas9
- Here’s how Bio-engineers (like our guest) apply their gifts to eradicate diseases such as malaria
- Here’s the study from Nature Biotechnology on how CRISPR-Cas9 might have unintended mutations, and here’s the one about how it might cause unintended viruses, published in Cell Reports
- Here’s an explainer of researcher He Jainkui’s efforts to modify the genes of embryos, resulting in the birth of twin girls
- Curious about the 1976 “swine flu affair?” BBC has you covered
- Here’s the article ‘Medicine and Miracles: Cancer and Cures’ that Doug and Pastor Michael Burbeck wrote for the American Scientific Affiliation
- Here’s a cool video, courtesy of YouTuber Zach Star, outlining Bio-Engineering and how it can be applied
- Here’s that scene from House where religion is “diagnosed” as a disease – we don’t agree!
- Here’s the news report of the exciting cancer vaccine trial mentioned
- Here’s our episode Beautiful Science (with the wonderful Ard Louis) talking about the symmetry in the universe
- Doug’s no stranger to podcasts – here he is on the Science Signaling Podcast, in his element
Undeceptions Plus offers exclusive bonus content to members. By becoming an Undeceiver, you can unlock uncut interviews, extra question and answer sessions, and peeks behind our creative process as we put the shows together. We’d love to have you with us.