This episode, we’re laying out the best arguments for and against legalising euthanasia and asking: What view of the human person should a good society embody in its laws?
Meet our guests
Charles Camosy is associate professor of theological and social ethics at Fordham University. He is the author of several books including Losing Our Dignity: How Secularised Medicine is Undermining Fundamental Human Equality.
Professor Ilora Finlay, Baroness Finlay of Llandaff, is a Welsh doctor, professor of palliative medicine at Cardiff University School of Medicine, and an Independent Crossbench member of the House of Lords in the UK. She is also a past president of the Royal Society of Medicine.
Associate Professor Lovell is a Palliative Medicine physician and senior staff specialist and Medical Head of Palliative Care with HammondCare.
This episode of Undeceptions is sponsored by Zondervan Academic’s new book Seasons of Sorrow by Tim Challies.
- Death by Appointment: A Rational Guide to the Assisted Dying Debate by Ilora Finlay and Robert Preston.
Peter Singer and Christian Ethics: Beyond Polarisation by Charles Camosy
- Death Talk: The Case Against Euthanasia by Margaret Somerville.
- ‘When did we start calling comatose patients as ‘vegetative’?’, Slate, 2010
- ‘The most dangerous man in the world’, The Guardian on Peter Singer, 1999
- ‘The Dangerous Philosopher’, The New Yorker on Peter Singer, 1999
- Read more about Stephanie Packer’s fight with her insurance company to get the chemotherapy drugs that would help to extend her life after receiving a terminal cancer diagnosis. Reports differ on this. Here’s one account from Catholic Weekly. And another from pro-euthanasia advocacy organisation, ‘Death with Dignity’.
- Oregon Death With Dignity Act 2021 Data Summary
- ‘Euthanasia law proposed for healthy over-75s who feel their lives are complete,’ Dutch News 2020
- ‘Dutch MP’s back proposal to allow euthanasia for over 75s who are ‘tired of life’, The Times UK 2020
- ‘Euthanasia: Dutch court expands law on dementia cases’, BBC 2020
- ‘New law shortens ‘Death With Dignity’ waiting period for some patients,’ Oregon Live 2019
- Reporting of Euthanasia in Medical Practice in Flanders, Belgium: Cross Sectional Analysis of Reported and Unreported Cases, BMJ Clinical Research 340 October 2010
- ‘Are Canadians being driven to assisted suicide by poverty or healthcare crisis?’, The Guardian, 2022
- Andrew Denton’s podcast ‘Better Off Dead’ by the Wheeler Centre.
- ‘Mum Wanted to Die So She Wouldn’t Be a Burden – But Convincing Her to Live Gave Us Both a Gift Beyond Measure’, Ilora Finlay writing for Huffington Post, 2016
- ‘End-of-life care will become a legal right’, The Times UK, 2022
- The Last of the Mohicans 1992
Undeceptions Plus offers exclusive bonus content to members. By becoming an Undeceiver, you can unlock uncut interviews, extra question and answer sessions, and peeks behind our creative process as we put the shows together. We’d love to have you with us.