This episode, we’ll be zooming in on the early Christian women, for whom we have good evidence, and who had a profound impact on the church and its teaching in their time.
Our guide is Dr. Lynn Cohick, who’s written books on the topic, including Christian Women in the Patristic World: Their Influence, Authority, and Legacy in the Second through the Fifth Centuries (co-authored with Amy Brown Hughes) and Women in the World of the Earliest Christians.
She paints a vivid picture for us of what life in ancient Rome might have been like for the first women to hear the gospel.
- For more on Dr. Lynn Cohick, check out her web site.
- And while you’re clicking, have a look at the Undeceptions web site for all sorts of cool stuff related to undeceiving the world
- Special thanks to Zondervan Academic, our show sponsor
- A special just for Undeceptions listeners! Get free access to Zondervan Academic’s Master Lectures for 14 days, and then save 25% for the next 6 months. Just type in the code UNDECEPTIONS at the check-out.
- Ridley College, where John lectures in Public Christianity
- You can click here to sign up for the With All Due Respect podcast with Michael Jensen and Megan Powell du Toit
- Want to send John Dickson a question? He loves them. Just click here to provide a query for our next Q and A show!
- Undeceptions is part of the Eternity Podcast Network, an audio collection showcasing the seriously good news of faith today.
Get to know our guest
Dr. Lynn Cohick received her bachelor’s degree from Messiah College in Grantham, PA, and her Ph.D. in New Testament and Christian Origins from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA. After 18 years as professor of New Testament and Biblical Studies at Wheaton College (serving as department chair and dean toward the end of my time there), she accepted the invitation to join Denver Seminary as their Provost / Dean. Lynn also taught at Messiah College (Grantham, PA), and Nairobi Evangelical Graduate School of Theology (Nairobi, Kenya) in the 80s and 90s, respectively.
Cohick presently serves as Provost and Dean of Academic Affairs of Northern Seminary in Lisle, Illinois. She also teach New Testament and leading the development of DMin and MA programs in women’s studies, and the Women’s Center for Leadership at Northern Seminary. [source]